Women Owned Business in the United States
- 10.1 million firms are owned by women (50% or more), employing more than 13 million people, and generating $1.9 trillion in sales as of 2008.
- Three quarters of all women-owned businesses are majority owned by women (51% or more), for a total of 7.2 million firms, employing 7.3 million people, and generating $1.1 trillion in sales.
- Women-owned firms (50% or more) account for 40% of all privately held firms.
- 1.9 million firms are majority-owned (51% or more) by women of color in the U.S.
- These firms employ 1.2 million people and generate $165 billion in revenues annually.
- Between 2002 and 2008, these firms grew faster than all privately held firms.
- One in five firms with revenue of $1 million or more is woman-owned.
- 3% of all women-owned firms have revenues of $1 million or more compared with 6% of men-owned firms.
For statistics from the NWBC 2012 Annual Report click here.
Statistics from the Center for Women’s Business Research, 2006. Census information from 2002.