MAY ADVOCACY UPDATE
Time is running out! Register for Advocacy Days on June 7-8th! We have our training starting next Tuesday at noon ET. You need to register ASAP so that you won’t miss out on the training in advance!! If you’ve already registered but need to book your hotel click here.
- The Senate was set to pass a $40 billion aid package for Ukraine before the current aid package expires next week, but Senator Rand Paul’s (R-KY) objection leaves the upper chamber in flux on it until next week. The House passed the bill earlier this week.
- The House of Representatives passed the legislation Tuesday evening. The House Small Business Committee passed several bills out of committee this week:To view the archived markup, please click here. The items that passed included:
H.R. 7352, “PPP and Bank Fraud Enforcement Harmonization Act of 2022”
H.R. 7334, “COVID-19 EIDL Fraud Statute of Limitations Act of 2022"
H.R. 7622, “Small Business Workforce Pipeline Act of 2022”
H.R. 7664, “Supporting Small Business and Career and Technical Education Act of 2022”
H.R. 7670, “Women-Owned Small Business Program Transparency Act”
H.R. 5879, “Hubzone Price Evaluation Preference Clarification Act of 2021”
H.R. 7694, “Strengthening Subcontracting for Small Businesses Act of 2022”
- During National Small Business Week last week, U.S. Senator Joni Ernst (R-Iowa), a senior member of the Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship, introduced a resolution to recognize the specific contributions of women-owned small businesses to Iowa and the nation. The resolution is co-sponsored by Senators Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii), Ed Markey (D-Mass), James Risch (R-Idaho), Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.), and Todd Young (R-Ind.). NAWBO supported the resolution and was quoted in her press release.
On Wednesday, May 18, 2022, at 10 AM ET, the Committee on Small Business will hold a hybrid hearing titled: “SBA Management Review: Office of Capital Access.” The Small Business Administration’s (SBA) Office of Capital Access (OCA) manages the agency’s loan programs, which provide guarantees for short- and long-term loans on reasonable terms for small businesses that cannot access credit elsewhere. This hearing presents Members an opportunity to assess the current Office and program operations and assess the agency’s efforts to increase access to affordable capital for all and promote a more equitable economy.
On Wednesday, May 18, 2022, at 2:30 PM, the Senate Small Business Committee will hold a Business Meeting to consider the pending business of the committee. Legislative items include:
- S. 1687 Small Business Cyber Training Act of 2021
- S. 2162 SBA Franchise Loan Default Disclosure Act
- S. 3564 Veteran Entrepreneurship Training Act of 2022
- S. 3595 One Stop Shop for Small Business Compliance Act of 2022
- S. 3906 Small Business Broadband and Emerging Information Technology Enhancement Act of 2022
Biden Administration Updates:
- This week, President Biden announced his intent to nominate the following individuals to serve in critical roles, including Donald R. Cravins Jr., Nominee for Under Secretary for Minority Business Development, Department of Commerce. Here is NAWBO’s Statement on the nomination.
Want to hear more about NAWBO Advocacy efforts or get involved? Contact Elle Patout via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.