Many people look at the new year as a clean slate; a time to finally achieve that elusive weight goal, a chance to pick up that new hobby or an opportunity to step into that next life or business stage. Whichever of the above suits you, a positive wellbeing is important to achieving the goals you set out to accomplish.
Wellbeing is composed of multiple factors from all areas of our lives. Each involved area must be healthy in order to have a positive overall wellbeing; many people make the mistake of focusing too narrowly on just one or two areas and don’t give adequate attention to each area. In their book, Wellbeing: The Five Essential Elements, Tom Rath and Jim Harter examine five components to wellbeing and how to maintain them.
1. Career Wellbeing: When you feel appreciated and respected for your work (which is even more critical when you own the business!), you’re more eager to step up and deliver. These feelings contribute to a healthy wellbeing.
2. Social Wellbeing: It’s important to have strong and healthy relationships and a support system you can rely on when you need it. Feeling loved is an important part of wellbeing!
3. Financial Wellbeing: Managing your costs efficiently, staying aware of your expenses and avoiding overspending are all ways your financial habits can contribute in a positive way to your overall wellbeing.
4. Physical Wellbeing: Healthy habits also affect to your overall wellbeing, so always aim to get plenty of rest and adequate physical exercise and to maintain a balanced diet.
5. Community Wellbeing: Your community involvement influences your state of wellbeing, too. Becoming engaged in your neighborhood activities, as well as various church, school and community groups, is a great way to boost your sense of wellbeing.
Aim to have a balanced life, and try not to focus too much on any one aspect; remember to nurture each component of your wellbeing on your path to becoming whatever you dream this year.