WHY ASK WHY? Knowing and Driving Your Purpose Leads to Business Growth and Success
“You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off of you.” —Maya Angelou
Whether your business is newly launched or 10 or 20 years in the making, knowing your why—your true purpose—will keep you committed to your dream, help you communicate it and get others on board, keep you focused during times of change and challenge and ultimately inspire innovation, growth and success.
The fact is: Most entrepreneurs don’t go into business for the money, although that comes in time with growth and success. Their true purpose often has to do more with things like more personal control and satisfaction, creative independence, the desire to impact others’ lives and businesses, wanting to surround yourself with people you choose or the desire for a better work-life balance.
Here are some questions to ask yourself to help you really know your why. Write down your answers, because writing them down will help you stay on track and will increase your odds of realizing your purpose.
• What makes me feel sheer joy—like the kind I experienced as a child?
• If I didn’t have to work, how would I choose to fill those hours?
• What completely absorbs my interest and attention?
• What do I feel most passionate about?
• What are my core values and beliefs?
• When do I feel like I am being most authentic?
• What am I willing to struggle for?
• What do I need to truly enjoy my work and leading others?
• What are my greatest skills and talents?
• What things do people regularly ask me for help with or thank me for?
• What causes are near and dear to my heart?
• What do I want my legacy to be?
More from this issue
- Why NAWBO? See For Yourself!
- The Seed
- SERVANT LEADERSHIP
- Driven by Our Purpose
- One Hundred and Three Days
- THIS JUST IN: New Report Focuses on Increasing WBO Access to Private Markets
- ONBOARD: Revolutionizing the Board Diversity Problem
- What to Expect: The Year Ahead in Advocacy
- Government Certifications Is Ranjani Mohana’s Expertise with R Mo Business Solutions
- HOW DO GREAT LEADERS INSPIRE ACTION? Start With Why
- EVERYONE HAS A WHY: What’s Yours?